Tattoo - Visual Art Form

Firearms and Self-Defense (a prologue)

Firearms and Self-Defense (a prologue)

I've been meaning to write about this for months, but have kept it on a back burner. In light of recent events, however, I'm making myself write this. We live in a gun culture in the United States. They are everywhere, and even those of us who don't own a firearm feel the impact of the culture upon us. For good or bad, we're stuck with the guns. Best we can hope to do is to live out the lesson of Spider-Man: "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility." Guns are a great power for violence and death (keep that in mind: a gun's only purpose is death), and when we as a society neglect handling this incredible force responsibly, we suffer pain, death, and loss. My brother-in-blog Tristan wrote a thought-provoking piece on his (other) blog about the gun culture. I recommend everyone checks it out: Gun Control and on Other Gun Related Problems.

Before I go any further, I should tell you where my motivations for discussing this topic arose. I remember living in Chicago. I was sitting on the couch watching TV with my (then almost one year old) daughter Sarah. I heard gun fire outside. I reflexively wrapped myself around my daughter to be a shield. When I heard silence, I grabbed Sarah and put her in her little bouncy chair, which was low enough to keep her safe from anything that might fly through the window. I ran to the door. I saw neighbors gathering outside, looking around, so I went outside. I found out the house next to mine had been struck by a bullet. I could see the fresh bullet hole just above the front door. No one had any answers to the who or why questions. Was it just someone firing randomly down a street in a residential neighborhood? Was the shooter aiming at someone? We'll never know.

I've never owned a firearm, which is one reason why I'm still alive today. I experienced a low point in my life - a very low point - in which I started having thoughts of suicide. I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating here: had I access to a firearm back in 2004, I'd have shot myself for sure. Pulling the trigger is way easier and way faster than jumping from a high place or taking pills, and there's no way I could bring myself to slit my wrists with a blade. The gun would have catered to those moments of impulse when I didn't want to be alive any more.

As a martial arts practitioner and instructor, self-protection is a subject I think about often. Consider this fun little invention:

I really like this. I first saw this on Facebook. Comments varied, but these are the responses that stood out to me:

"ill stick to my 12 ga shot gun that is near my bed"

"That piece of wood won't stop a bullet. I'll stick to a shotgun or pistol near my bed."

"Gun is much better option"

"It's cute, but don't bring a bat to a gunfight"

"Or you could just buy a gun like a normal person. Much more effective."

"12 GA Shotgun under the bed is much more effective."

"Place a pistol on the table, and sleep soundly."

(sic)

Everything within me started screaming that something was horribly wrong with this idea that owning a gun automatically leads to more safety. Statistics agree with me, which we'll look at later. It's been said that the invention of gunpowder made hand-to-hand combat arts obsolete. I disagree with that vehemently. I also disagree with the idea that "the bad guys have guns, so we need guns too." I'm not against gun ownership per se, but to look at it as a panacea for the violence and danger in our society is both overly simplistic and just plain wrong. Guns come with their own unique set of dangers and problems.

I come to this issue as a father, a survivor of depression, and as a martial artist. I have much more to write about this important topic, and I will as I am able. I appreciate any input you might have on this issue. Thanks.

Dead-Logic




share this article to: Facebook Twitter Google+ Linkedin Technorati Digg
Posted by Unknown, Published at 6:30 AM and have