Tattoo - Visual Art Form

Journey of One: Loving Life, Living Love

Journey of One: Loving Life, Living Love

2013 is turning out to be a milestone year for me. This will be a year long remembered. "It has seen the end of Kenobi; it will soon see the end of the rebellion."

Yes, I'm starting off this month with a Star Wars quote. Why not? It's been a good year so far. 2013 is also giving me the confidence to do something some people may think is crazy. And that's fine. They can think that. I have learned a lot about myself this year, and I know what makes me happy. But enough about that for now.


"What is Bud talking about?" "Don't ask me. I read The A-Unicornist."

Why is Twenty-Thirteen so good? It's the year I "discovered myself." I am living on my own, honestly for the first time ever in my adult life. Until recently, I've always lived with someone. Sometimes a wife, sometimes a girlfriend, sometimes a roommate. Now, it's just me, and, for the first time, I really got to see who I am when I'm not merely inhabiting a small part of someone else's world.

I discovered I'm a gym nut. Yeah, I've been a martial artist for a while, but this is different. I train martial arts still (even more than before), but now I'm at the gym 5-6 times a week. I've fallen in love with it. The gym has become a lifestyle, not just "something I do." And I'm running now too. I've never been a runner. Ever. But here I am. I'm in the best shape of my life, and I'm only getting better.

And I'm eating right. Seriously. I used to be the guy who'd order a second meal as my "dessert" after eating my first meal. I was a hobbit. A very tall hobbit, but a hobbit nonetheless.

2013 is a meaningful year for me because I've been able to reconnect with my son, who I have discovered is, at age 15, becoming a phenomenal writer. I also learned that he has his own site: The Author of Worlds. He's taking after his old man. It won't be long and he'll be a far greater writer - and man - than his father could ever hope to be. I'm very proud.

2013 is when I earned my blue belt in Jiu Jitsu from Royce Gracie, as well as my 1st degree black belt in Kenpo-Jitsu (I was already a 1st degree black belt in Shito-Ryu Karate). I love being a martial arts instructor. Where will this experience take me next? I don't know yet, but I'm enjoying these moments as Sensei. I love my kids (and my adults, when I get the chance to teach their classes).

This year is also the year I truly became comfortable with my story: I call it "my exodus from religion and my journey toward a life of reason." I made a YouTube video about it yesterday, at the request of someone close to me who wanted to hear it: From Minister to Atheist. I've been writing here on Dead-Logic for almost four years now, trying to come to terms with who I am and what I believe - and don't believe. This blog has helped me reach that; more significantly, those of you who have been along for the ride have been a tremendous help to me. I thank you for that.

Things aren't perfect; not even close. But life is good. I'm loving life. I have, after so many years, achieved a sense of balance in my life. I can't wait to see where the journey takes me next.

Dead-Logic


share this article to: Facebook Twitter Google+ Linkedin Technorati Digg
Posted by Unknown, Published at 3:00 PM and have