Tattoo - Visual Art Form

Reclaiming My Superhero Status

Reclaiming My Superhero Status

Things have been pretty quiet here for the past week or so. Everything is fine. I've just been sleeping more, which means I have been blogging less. I do most of my writing in the mornings before my day begins, and since I've been sleeping till later lately, I've had less time to write. I've been sleeping more because I've been training more. I've been training toward both a second black belt as well as a blue belt in Jiu Jitsu - both of which I should have before the end of the year. My body is still adjusting to the exercise and diet regimen.

Speaking of me doing martial arts, I posted this picture on Facebook yesterday:

This picture is of a scene from the Superhero Movie my friends and I made when we were in college. This image isn't the best quality because it's a screen capture of a VHS recording from 1994 that was transferred to DVD. In this scene, I deliver a hook kick to the head of a hoodlum, played by my friend "the Brainsaw."

The Superhero Movie was the second movie we made. The first movie we made in college was about a toilet that comes to life and, after facing constant rejection by the other students because he's different, proceeds to go on a killing spree across campus. We strapped a toilet on a skateboard, did a little puppeteer work with fishing line to make his lid move up and down when he talked, and made our own little horror film that we called "Porcelain Death."

Next semester we made "The Superhero Movie," which saw the rise of Captain Bad Doorknob (played by my best friend Steve), whose plan is to kill off all the superheroes so he could avenge the death of his mentor, Horrendous Cream Puff Man. The hero of this story is Good Helmet (played by my college roommate Eric), who's only seen in the last 10 minutes or so of the movie, when he and Bad Doorknob engage in the epic fight scene.


Captain Good Helmet & Captain Bad Doorknob

We were teenagers with an entire world of possibilities ahead of us. We had no idea that Steve would be dead at age 32, I would be divorced twice, and Eric - the guy with the long rock-star hair - would be bald by 30. There are no guarantees in life.

So I'm trying to make the most of life while I have it. I'm trying to reclaim the flexibility I had when I was 19 (see awesome hook kick above), and trying to get myself in better shape. No guarantees, so I'm going to do what I can with what I've got, while I still have time to do it.

Dead-Logic


share this article to: Facebook Twitter Google+ Linkedin Technorati Digg
Posted by Unknown, Published at 7:00 AM and have