Tattoo - Visual Art Form

Dead-Logic's Liturgical Calendar

Dead-Logic's Liturgical Calendar

In honor of today being Towel Day (i.e., the day celebrating the life and works of Douglas Adams), I thought I'd share with you my own personal liturgical calendar of holidays and events I celebrate throughout the year:

  • Darwin Day (February 12)
  • I make a point to read or watch something science-y on February 12 in honor of Charles Darwin. Usually I'll watch the movie Inherit the Wind.
  • Pi Day (March 14)
  • Pi (rounded to 3.14), Greek letter π, is the symbol for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Pi Day is celebrated by math enthusiasts around the world on 3/14.
  • Christopher Hitchens Day (April 13)
  • While Hitch's drink of choice was Johnny Walker Black, I usually drink a Guinness (my drink of choice) in his honor. April 13 for me usually involves watching a lot of Hitch videos on YouTube (when I'm not talking to my mom. April 13 is her birthday as well).
  • Star Wars Day (May 4)
  • "May the Fourth be with you!" I still have the original Star Wars trilogy on VHS (before the "special edition" ruined my childhood), and, when I have access to a working VCR, I'll watch them.
  • Towel Day (May 25)
  • May 25 is when I enjoy something by the late, great Douglas Adams - usually the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (either the book or movie, depending on my mood).
  • Left Handers Day (August 13)
  • I'm a Lefty, and as such I have experienced the oppression of southpaws by our right-handed society. My people need to rise up. Don't trust Righty.
  • Guy Fawkes Night (November 5)
  • Guy Fawkes Night is the biggest event on this list (for me, anyway). Each November 5 I throw a party, including food, snacks, games, prizes, and at the end of the night we burn an effigy of Guy Fawkes in accordance with tradition. My friend "the Brainsaw" makes the effigy for us every year. #GuyFawkes
  • Carl Sagan Day (November 9)
  • This is the perfect time to break out Sagan's TV series "Cosmos" and re-read one of his incredible books (I recommend Demon-Haunted World to anyone new to Sagan).
  • Wookiee Life Day (November 17)
  • The Holy Grail of geekdom is the Star Wars Holiday Special, which aired on CBS November 17, 1978. It is considered by many to be the worst thing ever made, which of course makes it one of the best things ever. From this gem we have "Wookiee Life Day," which requires a red Snuggie to celebrate properly. I'll let Jennifer Landa explain it to you:

    [h/t: World Wide Wookiee Life Day]

  • Krampusnacht (December 6)
  • So apparently St. Nicholas has a travel companion during the Christmas season: a demon named "Krampus." The way it works is, Santa deals with the good children, while the Krampus takes care of the bad ones, either by giving them lumps of coal, hitting them with sticks, or, for the really bad kids, stuffing them into his sack and hauling them away. What this means for me is that Christmas just became awesome again!

[Dead-Logic's "Holy Week" is October 31 (Halloween) through November 9 (Carl Sagan Day), with just a short break until we hit Wookiee Life Day.]

Dead-Logic


share this article to: Facebook Twitter Google+ Linkedin Technorati Digg
Posted by Unknown, Published at 10:38 AM and have