Tattoo - Visual Art Form

The Path of a Martial Artist

The Path of a Martial Artist

I am a martial artist. "Martial" means literally "of Mars," the God of War. There is no religious affiliation with martial arts. The adjective "martial" indicates the nature of these particular arts. The paradox of the martial arts is the emphasis on mastering tools of violence in order to achieve a life of peace. A martial arts lifestyle includes the learning of techniques meant to be used only when no other option is available. Our martial arts academy has a saying: "Common sense before self-defense."

More specifically, the "common sense" we teach (which isn't as common in the world as one would hope) is an intrinsic part of our self-defense. Knowing how to think, how to walk and talk, how to carry oneself: all the decisions we make should be done with self-protection in mind. I call it "defensive living". To borrow the words of Bruce Lee, it's "the art of fighting without fighting." Only after the non-contact "common sense" tactics have been exhausted do we turn to the physical methods of self-defense.

As a martial artist, I recognize that the most powerful weapons at my disposal are my mind and my attitude. Critical thinking and the application of reason lead to wise decision-making. Knowledge truly is power. And my attitude - how I see myself, how I view my circumstances and how I react emotionally to them - play a crucial role in how I act in response to situations in my life and the choices I make.

As a martial artist, I disdain anything that discourages people from being rational. To downplay the importance of logic and reason is to downplay the necessity of looking both ways before crossing the street. I can't emphasize how dangerous this is. History proves how dangerous this is, which is why I will repeat ad nauseum a truth I cling to dearly: faith is not a virtue. Being rational and responsible is not just a martial artist's duty: it should be a top priority for everyone.

Likewise, as a martial artist, I disdain anything that discourages people from realizing their potential. Anything that tells people they are inherently bad or evil or hopeless doesn't jive with what I have learned from the martial arts: specifically, the positive message that people can do what they set their minds to and become what they want to become, as long as they keep focused, stay determined, and remain positive. Failures are inevitable, but each failure should just serve as a learning opportunity. Martial arts training at a dojo worth its salt will supply the student with the tools required for success, regardless of whether it's success in the martial arts or any other realm.

When I was a minister, I tried to get people to repent (i.e., see themselves as bad and want to change), believe (irrespective of evidence), and admit they needed something bigger than themselves. As a martial artist - and a freethinker - I encourage people to think, to question, and to admit they don't know as much as they think they do. There's an entire universe full of wonder, and full of knowledge for us to acquire. I encourage people to work hard and think positively. You aren't evil; you are a diamond in the rough. Inside each person there's a vast amount of potential just waiting to be unlocked. Humanity has been shackled by superstition, fear and irrationality for far too long.

One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We're no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It is simply too painful to acknowledge -- even to ourselves -- that we've been so credulous. (So the old bamboozles tend to persist as the new bamboozles rise.)

- Carl Sagan [The Fine Art of Baloney Detection]

Dead-Logic.com


share this article to: Facebook Twitter Google+ Linkedin Technorati Digg
Posted by Unknown, Published at 12:00 PM and have