Tattoo - Visual Art Form

Dude, You're on Reddit!

Dude, You're on Reddit!

The Internet is a wild place. I got a call yesterday from a good friend of mine who informed me that someone had posted my blog entry "Allah Dolla Bills, Y'all" on Reddit, and it made it to the second page of r/atheism. I thought that was pretty cool, but later in the day I was absolutely blown away by the number of hits that blog entry was getting. "Allah Dolla Bills" made it to the first page of r/atheism and had over 11,000 views yesterday alone before 8:00 PM! Sure, it's small potatoes compared to PZ Myers, but for little ol' me it's pretty awesome. In one day it's already surpassed the number of views my Rebecca Watson article has received, and I still get over 100 views a month on that blog entry alone. So thanks to whoever shared my blog entry with Reddit, and thank you to everyone who reads Dead-Logic. I appreciate you all far more than you know.

I really didn't know what I was getting into when I started writing on this blog two years ago. So much has happened in my personal life these past two years: some good, some bad. I've shared some of it with you here. I'm proud to say that I keep pushing through obstacles. Life isn't perfect and neither am I, and that's okay. What I lack in perfection I make up for in perseverence. My life reflects this. I think my blog reflects this as well. I am proud of what Dead-Logic has become. I am both proud and humbled by the opportunity I have to write for you here.

I am surrounded by such excellent bloggers - and excellent readers - and together we share the goal of promoting critical thinking, truth seeking, science, and the betterment of humanity. Some say blogging is an insignificant hobby. Some say we won't make a difference. I disagree. Maybe I won't make any change by myself, but, to get our message out and make a difference, we need all our voices. I do my part, regardless of how small. You do your part. Together we have the potential to change the world.

What I lack in perfection I make up for in perseverance.

The Internet is the one place where ideas and arguments can be exchanged openly and freely. Some folks see the Internet as a threat. The Internet is a threat to be sure, because there are people out there like me who have the audacity to challenge people to think, and question, and reconsider previous assumptions.

My good friend - the same guy who informed me about my blog post on Reddit - made an interesting observation about the reaffirmation of "In God We Trust" as our nation's motto. He said: "As an atheist, it gives me hope. They feel the need to reaffirm the motto because they feel threatened. That means secular people are doing something right." I think he's right. Yes, we're a threat. The bloggers are a threat. Reddit is a threat. As history has shown us, truth is a threat, and it's no different now. And yes, we're gonna keep writing. This is only the beginning.

John Loftus, whom I have felt the need to criticize on occasion, nevertheless remains a man I respect greatly, whose works have been a great source of help and encouragement to me in the past couple years. John posted an entry on his blog recently that I'd like to share here:


On Secular Blogging: “If something is worth doing, it’s worth doing badly”
By John W. Loftus at 11/02/2011

I've liked this quote by GK Chesterton from the day I read it. Doing something badly is at least doing something productive, if what you're doing is the right thing to do. It's better than not attempting something at all. At least you will learn from your efforts. All of the most important things we learned to do we started out doing them badly, like walking, talking, singing, dancing and riding a bicycle. You improve as you go. You cannot improve until you start. You begin by starting out badly. You have to be willing to fail, sometimes often, to achieve what you want to. So if you decide to do something, anything, be prepared to start out by doing it badly. If you wait until you can do something perfectly you'll do nothing at all.

This more than justifies Blogging by both the secular scholar and the non-scholar. Scholars are focused on gaining the respect of their peers so they may Blog very little, fearing that their peers can see problems in what they write because Blogging is like that. Some objections can't always be dealt with in a short provocative Blog post. Non-scholars may write very little because they feel unqualified to do so.

When it comes to our common goal of ridding ourselves of the influence of the religious right in America take Chesterson's advice: "If something is worth doing, it’s worth doing badly." We need all of our voices. Don't be afraid of being wrong. I'm not. That's why I Blog. That's why I am an effective Blogger as well as an effective author. Sometimes I use my Blog to test ideas. Sometimes I merely provoke discussion. But I learn as I go. And I invite all secular people to do the same thing, both the scholar and the non-scholar. Come on people, Blog! Share what you know. Together we are making a difference. Join those of us who are already doing it.


Have an excellent weekend everyone. I'm preparing myself for our third annual Guy Fawkes Night this weekend. I'll post pictures of the event here on the blog some time next week. Until then: "Remember, remember, the Fifth of November..."

Dead-Logic.com


share this article to: Facebook Twitter Google+ Linkedin Technorati Digg
Posted by Unknown, Published at 10:00 PM and have