Tattoo - Visual Art Form

A Life Lesson: Don't Take Yourself Too Seriously

A Life Lesson: Don't Take Yourself Too Seriously

One of the best life lessons I've learned so far is, don't take yourself too seriously. Everyone wants to be respected, or at least liked, and bloggers especially want a large readership that sees them as good writers and respects them for their words and ideas. I'm no different. I want a lot of readers, and I want to be liked. I want you to think I'm really smart and a really good writer.

But I've learned that a laid-back attitude is the best attitude, and in spite of my passion for writing and my strong desire to be a great writer/blogger/idea-guy, I try not to think too highly of myself or get my panties in a twist whenever someone disagrees with me or doesn't see things exactly the way I think things should be seen. Here's an example...

I have tattoos, including the words "Aequitas" and "Veritas" tattooed on my forearms; consequently, it's not unusual for me to hear Boondock Saints references when I'm out in the world. Last time I went to Barnes & Noble, I heard an employee say "Boondock Saints!" behind me. I turned around, and she and I talked for a few minutes before I made my way to the Philosophy section (What do you mean there are other sections of Barnes & Noble?). Last week at the grocery story the check out girl exclaimed "Boondock Saints!" with glee when she saw my ink.

A decade ago I would have been upset by this. My younger self would have tried hard to make these people realize that these tattoos represent my strong desire for truth and justice! My tattoos have a deeper meaning, damn it! Ah, but with a little bit of age comes a little bit of wisdom (at least sometimes), and now I realize that it doesn't really matter. I need to lighten up, take it easy and chill the hell out. So when I hear the Boondock Saints references, I just smile and accept it. After all, Boondock Saints is an awesome movie. What's the point of killing the mood by trying to "correct" these people, when they don't care that much to begin with and they'll be thinking about something else after I leave the store anyway?

We would care a lot less about what people think about us if we realized just how little people think about us.

How many times have you heard someone complain that they "can't go out" because "my hair is a mess"? If your hair's a mess and you go to the mall, all those strangers won't really care. Even if one or two of them points and laughs at your messed up hair, the next minute they won't even be thinking about you, and you'll be forgotten.

We spend so much time catering to our feelings of self-importance and (at times) delusions of grandeur. Humans can be vain, self-absorbed creatures. No wonder we once thought we were the center of the universe. No wonder some people still do.

I have an outlet for expressing my views and taking a stand for Aequitas and Veritas. I have Dead-Logic. I don't need to use Barnes & Noble or the grocery store as my pulpit. Who do I think I am, any way? Yes, yes, Dead-Logic is more than just a blog; it's my online project with which I can rebel, revolt and take a stand for what's right via the written word. Here I stand as a warrior on the battlefield of ideas. Rawr. But come on... I'm just some guy: one small piece of carbon dwelling on this pale blue dot; a self-aware primate; a child of Africa; one permutation of star stuff existing both within and as an intrinsic part of the universe.

It's the issues that really matter: ensuring equal rights and equal respect for women, homosexuals, and people of any and every ethnicity and color; defending the freedom to practice the religion of one's choice; upholding freedom from religion and the separation of church and state; advocating science, logic, critical thinking, literacy and proper education; embracing the ethics of reciprocal altruism grounded in the solidarity of all humankind and all life on this planet; championing freedom of speech and freedom of thought, and the pursuit of truth, understanding and wisdom.

I think the blogosphere - and the world - will become a better place when we finally understand this.

Dead-Logic.com


share this article to: Facebook Twitter Google+ Linkedin Technorati Digg
Posted by Unknown, Published at 5:00 AM and have