Tattoo - Visual Art Form

Bullet Points

Bullet Points

It's been almost a month since my last post, which is hard to believe. My job keeps me pretty busy; on top of that, I've had more than my share of stress lately. I'm doing okay, but it's enough stress to keep my brain too occupied to write. I wish that weren't the case. I am proud of what Dead-Logic has become in the two years I've been doing this, and I really don't want to see it fall by the wayside. At least there's enough content here to keep readers occupied for a while. If you're a newer reader, go ahead and peruse my archive to give you a chance to get to know me a little better. Since I've been out of action for a while, let me cover a short list of topics before I go any further:

1. Harold Camping. Yes, the end of the world is coming... again. October 21, 2011, is the End of the World™ - really really this time. Sigh. It's just boring now. There isn't much to say about it that I and other bloggers haven't already said the last time the world ended. Click on Harold Camping to read my previous entries on Mr. Camping and his antics.

2. Blasphemy Day. I fucking hate it. There. That's it. I mean, honestly, most active Internet atheists treat every day like it's Blasphemy Day, which makes the "holiday" rather moot. "Oh, it's Blasphemy Day! Let's post the same religion-bashing shit we post every other day and act like we're doing something new." The more significant problem with Blasphemy Day is that the only real service it provides is to piss off religious people and make atheists look like arrogant asshats. Atheists already have a bad reputation. We have to contend with the stereotype that atheists are condescending know-it-alls who look down on everyone else. Just look at those clowns who call themselves the "Brights." When we do things that confirm this view, it only hurts our cause. Many folks in the atheist community are compassionate, thoughtful, caring people who just so happen to value logic, reason and truth and work to improve our societies and our world. I believe fully that there is a place for humor, satire and even sarcastic and sardonic wit. All I ask is that those who dare call themselves freethinkers and secularists be mindful of the effects of their actions and words. Otherwise, we may become no better than those who have committed horrors due to faith-based thinking.

3. Steve Jobs: This blog entry was composed almost entirely on my iPod, because I was having computer issues. Yeah, it felt like I was writing a REALLY long text message. But I got this entry finished. I guess I should thank Steve Jobs. Oh yeah, and thanks for the Toy Story movies too. I know the media tend to beatify famous people after they die (Michael Jackson was the butt of a thousand jokes, then he became everyone's favorite musician and was elevated to demigod status after he died). I have no intention of doing that here; however, when I think of Steve Jobs, this quote comes to mind, and it really makes me think:

"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart." - Steve Jobs

All of this has reminded me that life is short, and I need to make the most of it while I can. I guess I can thank Steve Jobs for that reminder, too.

Dead-Logic.com




share this article to: Facebook Twitter Google+ Linkedin Technorati Digg
Posted by Unknown, Published at 8:00 PM and have