Tattoo - Visual Art Form

Ensō

Ensō

Ensō is a Japanese word meaning "circle." An ensō symbolizes enlightenment, strength, elegance, the universe, and the void. There is no modifying an ensō once it is created; it is seen as an "expression of the moment." An ensō is often considered a form of minimalist expressionist art.

This particular ensō is a broken circle, although some artists complete the circle. The broken circle for me symbolizes the recognition that our ideas of the absolute are inevitably incomplete; we always have more to learn. The tattoo on my right shoulder is of this ensō. This symbol also appears on my blog.

The ensō has no religious meaning for me. It is merely a reminder that our knowledge is incomplete, and this realization is where the search for true enlightenment begins. The ensō, which represents a brief moment in time, reminds me of how short my life is. Indeed, life is a flicker of a candle's flame; one brief stroke of the brush on the canvas of the universe. I must, then, make the most of the life I have.

Dead-Logic.com

[see also: Ensō - Wikipedia]



share this article to: Facebook Twitter Google+ Linkedin Technorati Digg
Posted by Unknown, Published at 5:15 AM and have